Written By: Emily Hutson
Bryan Triangle Fashion Consultant/ Correspondent
The 1970s or ‘70s were a time of many odd fads, but they were a fabulous time for clothes. Patchwork, suede, and hats were all the rage. Granted, most of these things went of style out years ago but this dress is making a comeback across the board. This dress has the quintessential elements of the ‘70s period.
Suede, patchwork, and, of course, fall colors. To tie it all together, I threw in this great, black floppy hat. This gorgeous dress comes from Cato Fashions and the hat and boots are from Forever 21.
There are so many features to love about this dress.
- It’s simple enough to wear for several occasions; school, work, or date night.
- The colors are absolutely perfect for this time of year.
- It’s insanely comfortable and blissfully soft.
On the contrary, I do have a few complaints as well.
- It’s a bit shorter than most, but with tights or leggings, that’s not as bad.
- The zipper is in the front, which looks pretty, but it does make for an interesting dressing experience.
- Because it’s suede, it’s very difficult to wash without shrinking.
- The tights work to help tie the outfit together while providing some warmth. The boots work perfectly with the fall theme, and the floppy hat adds something extra to the outfit. Of course, you can swap any of these out for whatever you might have. Brown boots would look just as good, maybe even better. This time of year, the tights aren’t necessarily optional but if you don’t get cold, go for it. I would also suggest a blue jean or army green jacket with cold weather.
Fashion is great and fabulous but we shouldn’t get so caught up in the worldly things that we forget our true mission in life. Matthew 6:33 says “But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; all of these things shall be added to you.” This verse is telling us to do the work of the Lord first, to be about His business most of all. Worldly things will pass away but the kingdom of God is forever. As Christians, we should live with this in mind, and try our best to live lives pleasing to God in all aspects. This means giving all things over to God so He can guide us in His will. As much as I love fashion, I love finding the will God has for my life even more and trying to follow His plan–with His grace.Fashion is more than just what you wear or where it comes from. It represents who you are. Your clothes are one of the first things people notice about you. It is important to find the style that best fits you. “Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!” said Dr. Seuss as cited in brainyquote.com.
Fashion should allow you to be yourself while still being professional and modest. I hope that finding your style is something that brings you joy.